Saturday, May 29, 2010

Umlaas Rd (L13)

Name: Umlaas Rd

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umkomaas (L 15)

Name: Umkomaas

Umkomaas, a small coastal town on the south coast of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa was formed when a harbour was built in 1861, to export sugar, on the mouth of the navigable Mkhomazi River. When the successful dredging of Durban harbour's sandbar and the arrival of the railway, the town suffered and like Port Shepstone the harbour fell into disuse. A large number of whales once used the estuary as a nursery, giving birth in the shallows. The Zulus named the river after this spectacle (uMkhomazi means the place of cow whales). The settlement was originally known as South Barrow, with its suburb known today as Ilfracombe then called North Barrow.

The town is located 48 km south of central Durban and is accessible by rail, and roads including the N2 Freeway and the coastal R102 or "Old Main Road."
Source: Wikipedia

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umhlali (M 12)


Umhlali Golf EstateTuscan villas in a world class golfing estate in Ballito South Africa.Umhlali Golf Estate offers a secure lifestyle on the North Coast.

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umgeni (M 13)

Name: Umgeni

Umgeni Steam Railway. We are the home of steam locomotive preservation in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa. We run steam train rides for tourists and visitors ...

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umgababa (L 15)


Umgababa is a rural community area with a large market place for tourists in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. It forms part of eThekwini. The uMgababa River (the place of jealousy) enters the ocean at Umgababa. The name is derived from an ancient feud between the Luthuli tribe who used to live in the valley. Litchis are produced in this region. There once was a large titanium mine here but it closed due to serious sea pollution.

Source -,_KwaZulu-Natal

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umbulwana (J 12)

Name: Umbulwana

Google count:
Historic fact: History of the War in South Africa 1899-1902 - Google Books Result
Frederick Maurice, Sir - 2008 - History - 720 pages
PS — If you complete me to a division I can take Umbulwana Mountain, cavalry watching on my right." 6.30 am, Feb. 28th. Barton reports Boer movements to the ...

Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Umbogintwini (L14)

Name: Umbogintwini

Umbogintwini is the production centre of Chemical Initiatives’ business. This facility, situated south of Durban, has been the home of sulphuric acid production since 1908. The current “J Plant” was designed and built by Simon Carves and was commissioned in 1974. This plant is a double absorption, four pass convertor plant and is still in operation. In 2002 a Dynawave scrubber was retrofitted to the plant to further reduce SO2 emissions and bring the operation in line with the best international emission standards. Improving operational and environmental standards at our Umbogintwini factory is a priority with ISO 9002/2000, ISO 14001 and OSHAS 18001 accreditation.

This plant is configured to produce high quality sulphur trioxide, sulphur dioxide and oleum and has a nameplate capacity of 500 tons per day of sulphuric acid.

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Umbilo (M14)

Name: Umbilo

BACKGROUND: RICHARD WOOD was a Trader's assistant, carpenter, wagon driver. He, probably came to Natal with Collis in October 1831. In April 1838 Richard Wood was killed at the Battle of the Tugela. WILLIAM WOOD, the brother of Richard, died in the same battle. WILLIAM WOOD, the son of Richard, was interpreter to Dingaan. William WOOD, his mother, and other Port Natal residents took refuge on the ship Comet at the Bay of Natal to escape the Zulus. Young William WOOD and his mother left Port Natal on 11 May 1838 for Graham's Town in the company of Mr and Mrs Edwards and family. The wagon journey to Graham's Town (375 miles as the crow flies) took a total of 4 months and the WOODs had to walk most of the way. The Edwards family remained in King William's Town. The WOOD family proceeded to Algoa Bay and then boarded the 'Comet' to Cape Town. William WOOD remained in Africa until the age of 20. He then left for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where he married. After a few years William WOOD and his family moved to England and then on to the United States.

Map of Port Natal 1842.

This map shows the original locations of the homes of Ogle, Dunn and Wood. Dunn's house was between the Umbilo (Boiling River) and the Umhlatusi (Umhlatuzana) River (Copper River). Both houses seem to be in the Umbilo River valley close to high ridges. The distance from the Wood home to the mouth of the Umbilo River is just under a mile. The Boer's Camp is almost on the beach and is about a mile from the Wood home.

Recent Map of Durban, Natal, South Africa - Suburbs of SeaView, Rossburgh and Umbilo

This map shows the approximate positions of the homes of the Dunn and Wood families relative to current landmarks. The Dunn house could have been in, or near to, the triangle formed by Folkestone, Doncaster and Titren ( or Romford) Roads. Possibly on the opposite side of the river to the Umbilo Drive in Cinema - at the juction of Park View Road and Coronet Avenue. The Wood house could have been in the area between the Stellawood Cemetery and the ESKOM (ESCOM) Power Station. Perhaps in the vicinity of the Umbilo Railway Station - on the Rossburg side of the station - near to the junction of Sarnia Road and Drake Road.

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Ulco (C11)

Name: Ulco

Northern Cape > Diamond Fields

Ulco is situated near Delportshoop, a proud mine settlement and one of the biggest cement mines and factories in the Southern Hemisphere. Its fine quality products built the well-known Katze Dam in Lesotho. Vaal-Gamagara, which obtains and purifies water from the Vaal River, pumps the water into a 1700 km long water pipe line to the North Western Cape to as far as Van Zyls Rus in the Kalahari Desert.

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay:

Monday, May 17, 2010


Saturday, May 15, 2010


Uitkyk (H 8)

Name: Uitkyk
Between Middelburg & Witbank (which falls within the Emalahleni Local Municipality)

Where to stay: Ribbokkloof Lodge
Farm Uitkyk, Middelburg, 1050 R555, Middelburg, Mpumalanga 1050

p: +27823883247 f: +27866302648

Uitenhage (F 16)

Name: Uitenhage

Uitenhage is a South African town with 275,185 inhabitants in the Eastern Cape Province. It is well-known for the Volkswagen factory located there, which is the biggest car factory on the African continent. The city of Port Elizabeth and the small town of Despatch are located near Uitenhage.

Uitenhage was founded on 25 April 1804 by landdrost (district magistrate) Jacob Glen Cuyler and named in honour of the Cape's Commissioner-General Jacob Abraham Uitenhage de Mist by the Dutch Cape Colony governor, Jan Willem Janssens.[1] Uitenhage formed from part of the district of Graaff Reinet (shortly after its short-lived secession) and in 1877 it became a municipality.

In 2001 it was incorporated with Port Elizabeth and Despatch into the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality.

Google count:Date:

Historic fact:

In 1985, police opened fire on a funeral procession in Uitenhage, killing a number of unarmed people, in an event that became notorious as an example of police oppression in South Africa under apartheid.[2][3]

Other interesting info:

May 2010 - THOUSANDS of rail commuters who travel between Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage are stranded after Metrorail suspended its Eastern Cape services yesterday

Where to stay:

Friday, May 14, 2010

Ugie (G 12)

Name: Ugie

The village Ugie in the mountains of the eastern cape undergoes major changes at the moment. The biggest factory for wooden chipboards in the southern hemispere has been build here a couple of month ago. 2008.

In 2008 the pretty village of Ugie made history when it snowed in the little town that lies between the towns of Maclear and Elliot in the wild west region of the Eastern Cape for the first time in years. Small and insignificant Ugie may appear to be, but the town has its own website, a Facebook group with no fewer than 141 fans, and a rather thrilling rock formation known as Gatberg - a large hole in the mountain south west of Maclear.

Ugie lies beneath the towering cliffs of the Drakensberg Mountain range on the banks of the Inxu River. It derives its name from another river, however - not the one on whose banks it resides, but the Ugie River in Scotland. To all intents and purposes Ugie began as a little mission station at Gatberg, established by a reverend called William Murray who was born in Scotland. He was the first white man to settle permanently in Ugie.

But it is not the history that draws people to the villages of Ugie and Maclear, only 21 kilometres apart. Rather it is the incredible natural scenery - the towering mountains that form a backdrop to the towns, winding rivers and huge dams that lure fishermen of every description, and the hills and dales that provide hours of hiking opportunities.

Visitors will enjoy visiting the Gary Kashula tractor museum, the Ugie Methodist Church, easily viewable from most parts of the town, cave trails in the Prentjiesberg (the Prentjiesberg dam lies just outside of Ugie) and Woodcliff, and skiing at nearby Tiffendell Ski resort.
Google count:Date:Historic fact:

Other interesting info:

The history of ugie and maclear
As compiled by Fay Bell

The villages of Ugie and Maclear, situated among the foothills of the Southern Drakensberg, in the Eastern Cape, are surrounded by natural scenery which is grand and impressive and unforgettably beautiful The towering mountains, innumerable streams, winding rivers and large dams make this area a veritable paradise for the angler, hiker, bird watcher and indeed anyone who loves the great outdoors. Situated on R56, which is the shortest route between the Durban area and the Western Cape, and tarred throughout these two villages are readily accessible and offer excellent and varied accommodation for overnight sojourners and holiday makers. The climate is bracing and healthy. Although cold in winter, it is never oppressively hot in summer.

Before 1750, although the Pondomisi people had passed this way during their migration south from mid Africa, the only permanent dwellers were the San. They have left behind a rich legacy in many fine examples of rock art to be found throughout the area. From 1819 onwards many tribes fled the aggression of the Zulus under king Shaka and found refuge in this area. However they found the winters too cold, and the summers too wet and the San people rustled their cattle. They soon moved and this area became known as "no man’s land". Perhaps the first recorded white men to pass this way would be the Voortrekker Pieter Uys and his party of Grahamstown burgers on their way to explore Natal. Pieter Uys commented in his journal on the beauty of the area and the mountain that looked like a picture -

One of the first permanent inhabitants of this district was Nape, a Baca chief and his followers, driven out from the Pietermartizburg area and from Mt. Fletcher by the Zulus. The name of one of his men was Gubenxa - and so the area, which he settled, was given that name. Hence the name Kapaailand, as this
District is sometimes called.

In 1862 Adam Kok and his Griqua people were resettled in the Kokstad area. En route a splinter group of Griqua made their way over the Drakensberg and down the mountain pass known as Bastervoetpad. They settled in the vicinity of Ugie – Maclear District. Two of the early Griqua farmers were Jan Apprentjie, who settled near the Prentjiesberg and Adam Paul who lived on the farm Dalvy near Lake’s Drift. In 1863 William Murray established his mission station on the banks of the Inux and from 1874 onwards the area gradually became settled by white pioneering traders and farmers.

William Murray, a medical missionary and schoolmaster, founded the small village of Ugie with its peaceful ambiance and beautiful surroundings in 1863. He was sent out from Scotland under the auspices of the London missionary society to minister to the needs of the Griqua people, who had settled in this area.

In 1862 he built his lovely mission station on the banks of the river Inxu (Wildebees) and named it “Ugie” after the river in Scotland, on whose banks he was born. His station became the nucleus of the present village and in 1874 the Allen brothers, from Craddock, were the first to obtain a trading license at the little mission

After the quelling of the Pondomisi uprising of 1880 the area became more settled and on the 27th July 1885 the sale of erven in Ugie took place. On the 27th July 1916 a village management board was established. Today the village is the home of the regional head offices of P G Bison. A new mill is currently under construction a few kilometers from Ugie. Twelve kilometers outside Ugie is the Mondi seedling nursery at Glen Fahy, one of the largest of its kind. Also interesting is the Gary Kashula tractor museum and other developments include a poultry farm, an egg farm and a private saw mill. Escom electricity and an abundance of water are available. The area is known for its highly successful timber, crop and cattle farming enterprises the Prentjiesberg dam situated on the outskirts of Ugie, built by the municipality provides fishing, boating and water sports.

The picturesque little town of Maclear with its backdrop of the mighty Drakensberg is a busy trading centre, still reminiscent of the early frontier days where pioneers lived, fought and contributed to the building of a nation. On the 17th September 1879 this area, together with the rest of the St John’s territory was annexed by the cape colony and Mr. John Rogers Thompson was appointed as the first magistrate. His residency was built at Quangaru (place of the zebra) on the Mooi River, and was called the Mooi River Residency. From this beginning evolved the town of Maclear. During the Pondomisi uprising, the pioneers of Ugie and Mooi River and the outlying trading stations, who escaped being murdered, were all gathered at the residency under the leadership of magistrate Thompson. They were besieged for several perilous weeks until relieved by captain Mulenbeck with a small body of volunteers from Barkly East, just in time to save the brave men and women.

In 1881 Mooi River was renamed Maclear, after sir Thomas Maclear, after her majesty’s astronomer at the
Cape of Good Hope, and the magisterial district was formed. White farmers made large tracts of land available for purchase and settlement and the area became known as being good for stock farming. In 1903, the railway line from Indwe to Maclear was completed and this brought more development to the area. In 1916 Maclear acquired its first municipality. Today the Town of Maclear with its tree lined streets and park like residential area has a thriving business sector. The area is also well known for its excellent crop, dairy and stock farming and is justly renowned for its superb trout fishing.

Today Maclear falls into the eLundini Municipal area. This incorporates Ugie, Maclear and Mt Fletcher. The communities of Ugie and Maclear are sports loving and the Maclear Country Club offers many sports facilities such as the golf course, squash court, all weather tennis courts and rugby fields.

Where to stay:

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tsumeb (B 5)


It is served by a mostly freight railway. With the extension of the railway towards the Angolan border in 2007, the Tsumeb station finds itself on a dead end, with a new bypass formed by a Triangle provided direct access from the capital to the extended line.

Tsumeb has a plant for the manufacture of concrete sleepers.

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:Where to stay: