Saturday, June 12, 2010

Upington (B 11)

Name: Upington

Upington is situated on the banks of the Orange River (which is one of the largest rivers in South Africa). Upington is rich in culture and history. The town was established in 1870. Since 1880 the town has expanded rapidly and is now the commercial, agricultural and educational centre of the Gordonia district.

Source: http://www.upington.co.za/

Google count:Date:Historic fact:Other interesting info:

Upington had a few clubs when I started visiting the town but as alcohol prices went up and people started partying at home the clubs closed one after the other and only two remained in Upington. Last night we made an appearance at “Plan B” to round off our perfect night with some dancing and a couple of shooters.

Plan B is your typical “platteland” club that focus on “langarm” and lots of alcohol consumption. The place is massive with a huge dance area, some pool tables and a large bar area. Plan B is great fun but only start picking up speed after 11 as people move from home parties after they have lost all ambitions and don’t care about booze prices.

I must admit that I am too old to do the club thing and the loud music, waiting for drinks and driving under the influence just doesn’t do it for me anymore. That said if I were 10 years younger it would have been a blast!
Source: http://www.rivercity.co.za/2009/06/plan-b/

Where to stay:

The railway line between Upington and Keimoes.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was born there and lived in Upington until I was 19. My family remained there for several years afterward. It's very progressive now, they say. My mother still has several cousins there.

Train