Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Parys (F 10)

Name: Parys

In the early 1870's, towns in the northern Free State were set very far appart and members of the different churches had far to travel to participate in their religious services. It was then decided by the Ring of the Dutch Reformed Church to implant the idea of a congregation, north of the Rhenoster River, into the minds of residents of the farm Klipspruit. The farm, situated on the Vaal River was then owned by three van Coller brothers Phillip, Hans and Dolf van Coller, mrs. W.J.I. Davel anb her son, Willem Davel. Two of the Van Coller brothers lived in what is today known as Oranje street, and the third brother in Boom street, Willem Davel lived in present Water street. Three gentlemen, Messrs. de Villers, Luyt and Fleck were sent to the owners of Klipspruit to induce them to lay the farm out as a township, but the van Coller brothers were very reluctant to listen to the arguments put forward by the three men. Not giving up hope of laying out a township, the three gentlemen went to the adjoining farm, Vischgat (the present Vredefort). The owners of Vischgat were more amenable to argument and inducement, and it was not long before the township of Vredefort was born.
The owners of Klipspruit soon awoke to the fact that a golden opportunity had slipped through their fingers, and set out in haste to restore matters. History does not record the steps they took, but it seems probable that they secured the sympathy of the Dutch Reformed Church. Later on in 1876 when the town was laid out, a goodly portion of ground was set aside and donated to the church. (The church building is shown above in 1891 during the Anglo Boer war being used by the British as they thought that the Boers will not attack a church). On the 14th of June 1876 the first sale of seven erven was held by a Mr. Wouter de Villiers, at a price of £ 25 each.

More info on:

Iris Andrew (Curator)

No comments: